The 12 Week Countdown to My Due Date
The 12 week countdown has begun!!! T-minus 12 weeks until baby girl get’s here! Maybe. That’s the thing with babies. They don’t give you an exact arrival time. As of Friday 3rd, I’m 28 weeks pregnant and officially in my third trimester. My official due date is May 26th.
Part of me feels that by 38 weeks I’ll have all my ducks in a row, and wouldn’t it be nice to meet baby girl early. Just not too early. Oh, and she better not hijack my birthday. The other part of me expects to go overdue, as many women do.
Needless to say, the not knowing WHEN she’ll be arriving is causing me a little anxiety. I’m a PLANNER. It’s bad enough not knowing what my weekend plans are, let alone when a human I made is going to enter the world. This is where those affirmations come in real handy, and I remind myself “my baby will be born healthy and at the perfect time.”
In an effort to distract myself, I have formulated a 12-week countdown plan!
I’ve consulted all of the “things you should do before your baby arrives” posts on Pinterest, scribbled down a to-do list with all the cleaning projects I’ve been putting off, and come up with a manageable weekly list of projects.
I’ll be doing a weekly post to share my pregnancy progress, as well as all the projects I’ve been ticking off my to-do list.
Baby Preparation Progress To Date
Before I dive into the planning ahead, I wanted to share my progress to-date. I made some good baby preparation progress in my second trimester, which has removed a bit of pressure for my third trimester.
Over Christmas, I really started to amp up my baby preparation. I had some intense nesting urges and got the nursery furniture set up. I’m SUPER glad I did this in my second trimester while I had more energy and flexibility, and less discomfort. It’s also lovely to have a dedicated baby space. I spend a lot of time in the nursery mulling over life, working on my laptop and planning all-things-baby.
Friends and family have asked me “How’s baby preparation going. Are you ready?” To which I respond “IF baby girl were to arrive early, we would be ok.” The reality is, if I were to go into labor soon, baby girl would need a NICU stay, which would afford us a little time to get the last minute things we need. Even if we ended up with a baby at home earlier than expected, we have the basics covered. Our crib is missing a mattress, but we have a bassinet. We have clothes, blankets, diapers, and wipes. The car seat has been purchased and is pending installation. The rest can be ordered from Amazon or picked up from the store.
The fun thing about planning ahead is I’ve been able to keep my eye out for particularly enticing deals. It’s become a habit to browse baby sections at Target, T.J. Maxx, Burlington, Marshalls, and Ross to see if there’s any particularly cute clothes, toys or books at an especially good price.
- Nursery Furniture bought, built, and situated (see my post: Nursery Setup Guide)
- Baby Shower plans underway (thanks to my awesome friend who is hosting my shower). I’m SUPER excited about our tea party theme.
- Clothing stash started, thanks to working through the sale racks at Target, finding deals at off-price department stores and finding some great quality second-hand
- Breast-pump ordered and delivered.
- Car seat purchased (for 50% off at Target!)
- Baby book library has begun thanks to some second-hand deals found through Facebook Classifieds and Goodwill.
- Baby crafting is underway! I have made a tag blanket, stuffed animals, mobile, burp cloths, a hooded towel, washcloths, a cross-stitch animal series, and a colorful animal print.